This is my friend Gabi Radinger’s recipe for mixed bean salad using canned beans and a tasty dressing of pumpkin seed oil and apple cider vinegar. It is quick and easy to make and perfect for a barbecue or to take on a picnic. I always keep a couple of cans of mixed beans in my pantry so I can make it anytime. It needs to sit in the fridge for an hour before serving.
Photography by Diana Lampe
- 2 x 400g cans four bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped and rinsed
- 1 small red pepper (capsicum), chopped
- 2-3 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Combine the beans, onion and pepper in a bowl, tip in the dressing and mix through. Taste to check the seasoning and adjust as needed. I like to add a little chopped parsley for colour and freshness or you can use it as a garnish.
- Keep the salad in the fridge until serving time to allow the flavours to intermingle and the beans to soak up the delicious dressing. Serve as a side dish with bread or with meats and other salads.