Fennel and rocket salad with pine nuts is a favourite salad of mine. It is deliciously refreshing and the perfect accompaniment to my tomato tart (torta di pomodoro), and also for many other Italian dishes. I am sure you will make it again and again.
Photograph by Andrew Taylor
- 1 small plump bulb of fennel
- 2 bunches of rocket
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lightly toasted pine nuts
- Cut off the fennel stalks and save any fronds to add to the salad. Remove the outer layer of fennel as necessary and trim the core underneath. Cut the bulb in half down through the middle. With the cut side down, slice lengthways as thinly as you can. Place the fennel slices in cold water to stop them discolouring and make crisp. Keep in the fridge until needed.
- Trim the rocket stems and wash the leaves. Drain and spin or pat dry.
- To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar with salt and pepper and whisk in the olive oil.
- Combine the fennel and rocket in a salad bowl and set aside. Just before serving tip on the dressing and toss to coat the salad and scatter over the pine nuts. Delicious!